Phishing Mode in Internet Banking
Beware of e-mail asking for your account information, i.e.: User ID, PIN, account/card number, or any announcement asking you to transfer some amount of money for winning something. This can be an irresponsible attempt to scam you. This kind of scam is widely known as phishing.
What is phishing?
Phishing is a criminally fraudulent process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as user ID, PIN, bank account number, and credit card number. This information is then used by the phisher to access your account, perform credit card fraud or guiding customers to transfer to certain account by promising something.
This scam often happens. Other than an increase in amounts, the scam is also increasing their quality. Meaning, the phony sites are placed in a non-standardized server protocols that makes them undetectable.
How is it Done?
The most common techniques used are:
- Fake e-mail address and graphic usage to mislead customers so that customers are lured to accept e-mail or websites authentication. To make it even more convincing, phishers often use legitimate agency’s logo or trade mark, such as bank or credit card issuance. This kind of fraud is done to lure the victims to give in their sensitive information, such as password, PIN, and credit card number.
- Engineering bogus websites as identical as possible with the official websites or sometimes phishers send an e-mail contains link to the bogus site.
- Creating hyperlink to the bogus website or providing a form attached to the sent e-mail.
Don’t get allured easily to follow any instructions suggested by an e-mail linked to certain sites related to your account information. Please be careful if you receive this kind of e-mail on behalf of Mandiri Bank. Mandiri Bank is applying a policy not to ask our customers or account holders to update their personal information through e-mail.
If you receive such e-mail, please report it to Mandiri Bank.
Below are some tips to protect yourself from phishing scam :
- Always type the complete URL for banking official website, which is: www.bankmandiri.co.id on the menu bar on your browser.
- Never share or give up your User ID or PIN to anyone, even if it is Mandiri Bank staff. Mandiri Bank never asks for your PIN number for any reasons.
- If you receive any e-mail pertaining a notification that Mandiri Bank will terminate your account or User ID if you don’t confirm your personal data, please do not reply or click the available link in the e-mail.
- If you ever reply then contact Call Mandiri at 021-52997777 or 14000 to delete your internet banking facility through Mandiri ATM or the nearest branch office.
- Do not be allured to follow any suggestion to transfer to certain account in order to get any reward. It is best to find complete information by contacting Mandiri Bank directly.
Is It Necessary to Report any Phishing Location or Suspicious E-mail?
If you have any questions related to any e-mail sent by Mandiri Bank or if you feel like someone is trying to misuse Mandiri Bank, please contact Call Mandiri at 14000 from your phone or cell phone to confirm.